6th August 2020

ADUR ESTUARY: "The early afternoon high tide left a fair amount of saltmarsh exposed, helpful for the roosting waders but making it tricky to count them. A low-flying Sparrowhawk stirred things up a bit, leading to best counts of three Oystercatchers, 30 Lapwings, two Dunlins, one Common Sandpiper, 40 Redshanks, three Greenshanks, 20 Whimbrel and one Snipe. Ten Little Egrets. About 30 loafing Black-headed Gulls, and a few Herring Gulls, were joined by two restless Sandwich Terns. Just before high tide a Kingfisher flew past, my first here since early March." SOS

FERRING FIFE: My birding today was a slow walk up and back down Ferring Rife. After a quick check of the beach, where three Mediterranean Gulls, a juvenile Great Black-backed Gull, two Turnstones and six Little Egrets were feeding, my first surprise was a Kingfisher that made to land right next to me, before inevitably spooking and flying on. Just after this shock of blue, it took me a little longer to compute the dazzling red bird which flew out from the reeds: a male Northern Red Bishop, looking pleased with the habitat he'd selected post-breakout. My previous form for finding escaped landbirds is rather poor, with only one Cockatiel that I recall, so it certainly qualified as a highlight of the morning. Further upstream, I froze when I heard a GREEN SANDPIPER calling and it wasn't long before it flew past me. Only my second locally in getting on for three years in Worthing, this was a moment to savour. Later on, I relocated the bird feeding on mud a hundred yards or so downstream of the central bridge, where a little fieldcraft allowed good views without spooking this local rarity.



Eight Willow Warblers were encountered, some giving lovely views as they fed with little hurry in low vegetation, while five Reed Warblers were local birds. A brood of Goldcrests confirmed breeding and a Coal Tit broke into song briefly. Six Swifts and 10 Swallows flew through. A similiar number of Little Egrets to that on the beach began to gather in the conifers. David Campbell