April 22nd 2019

GORING GAP : I had a great seawatch at Goring Gap this morning!

Almost as soon as I arrived It was clear that good numbers of birds were on the move, although sadly no poms for me.  As I approached the beach I was surprised to hear a Snipe call and then watch it fly off west, I'm pretty sure I had flushed it from the edge of the sand.  Totals of birds moving were: Mediterranean Gull 146E 9W (mostly adults), Black-headed Gull 141E 3W, Common Gull 42E, Whimbrel 44E, Dunlin 2E, Common/Arctic Tern 13E, Brent Goose 107E, Common Scoter 136E, Sandwich Tern 101E 10W, Arctic Skua 3E, Bonxie 3E and 1 on the sea, Fulmar 2W, Red-breasted Merganser 3E, Bar-tailed Godwit 400+E mostly after about 9am and including impressive flocks c100 and at least 150 (probably more), Linnet 23E 4W, Yellow Wagtail 2E and Swallow 4E. 21 Gannets were feeding offshore and a Peregrine flew along the tideline RS