January 9th 2019

There were lots of Red-breasted Mergansers and Great Crested Grebes offshore but searching for birds on the sea was not easy due to how choppy the sea was. Singles of Little Egret and Curlew were also noted flying West. It wasn't until I panned my scope back round to the left towards Worthing Pier I picked up sitting on the sea, much to my amazement a lone Canada Goose. I watched this bird for several minutes as it swam towards the beach and just before it hit the beach it flew up and over the greensward before landing in the roost field at 12:35. I watched this rare visitor to Goring Gap in the roost field for quite a while where it seemed settled and was happily feeding. I was joined for a short period of time by Garry who was surprised as me to see the Canada Goose in the field. A completely unexpected patch tick!

Also in the roost field was Black-headedCommonHerring and Mediterranean Gulls as well as a few Dunlin and Sanderling.


Canada Goose - Goring Gap



Feeling motivated after finding the Canada Goose, I had a quick stroll around the plantation and football pitches. Where I noted several Blue TitsGoldfinches and Robins as well as 2 Greenfinches.
GJ