31st March 2018

Goring Gap

A Osprey was seen coming off the sea heading north at 10.55am GM

I arrived at Goring Gap a few minutes after the Osprey which was extremely frustrating. There was little visible migration in the very cool conditions. However, I did log one Great Northern Diver, 1 Red throated Diver, 4 Gannets and a few Great Crested Grebes and Red breasted Mergansers.

Just as I was leaving I noticed a squabble with a Herring Gull and another bird. I got out of the car and focused on the bird to realise it was a migrating female Marsh Harrier! It passed overhead and did not sway from its due north migration route. It continued towards the downs until it disappeared from view. It was some compensation for missing the Osprey! RI


Nice to see a Red Kite over an urban area of Worthing. Seen squabbling with a carrion crow over the David Lloyd building at 13:00 PT